The Communication Disorders Clinic provides outreach services to several community medical agencies, including Watauga Medical Center and Medical Center Home Health.
Watauga Medical Center
Inpatient speech-language pathology services are provided through Watauga Medical Center located in Boone. Watauga Medical Center is a 200 bed hospital featuring emergency medical services, as well as intensive, acute, and restorative care. The facility serves individuals in Watauga, Ashe, Wilkes, and Avery counties in North Carolina, as well as Johnson County in Tennessee.
Speech language pathology services provided at Watauga Medical Center include:
- evaluation of speech and language, including cognitive communicative impairments resulting from stroke, dementia, or traumatic brain injury
- evaluation for augmentative communication
- voice prostheses
- tracheostomy speaking valves
- communication boards
- evaluation of swallowing including videofluoroscopic evaluations
- treatment of speech and language difficulties resulting from
- right hemisphere brain injury
- traumatic brain injury
- Parkinson's disease
- head and neck cancer, including laryngectomy
- management of swallowing impairments